Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Annoyances

1. The fact that the sun never sets here. It rather messes with the old circadian rhythms when the sun "sets" at 130 am and rises at 2 am. The birds don't like it either, and  begin chirping round about midnight to protest this unnatural order of things.

2. The fact that in January, when I converted all my USD to SEK, the exchange rate was 1 USD:7 SEK and now it is about 1 USD: 8 SEK. And because this whole "Moving to Sweden" idea was obviously meant to be a financial investment (as opposed to a cultural, lingual, and living-on-my-ownal experience), this makes my gap year an obvious bum failure.*

*In case my internet-sarcasm didn't come through, I jest

3. How monolingual I am. Don't get me wrong, I've learned enough Swedish to follow a recipe or read a newspaper, but compared to the polygluttonous wunderkinder* around me, I am woefully... American in my linguistic capacity. Please allow me to list a brief lingual profile of the people I consider friends here, in no particular order:

*Does that count as German?

Swede #1: Swedish, English, Russian fluently, plus some German

German # 1: German and English fluently, plus a lot of Swedish

Dutchie # 1: Dutch and English fluently, plus some Swedish

Chinese # 1: Mandarin, Cantonese, English fluently, plus a lot of Swedish

Canadians # 1 & 2: English, German, Swedish fluently

Malawian # 1: English, Chichewa fluently

Swede # 2: Swedish, English fluently

American # 1: English fluently, little bit of Swedish.

American #2: English fluently, little bit of Swedish.

Katie Roe: English almost fluently, little bit of Swedish and French

Hmm, what do the three Americans on this list have in common...
4. The fact that I am leaving in 10 days and cannot bring everyone I love in Sweden home with me. (But I can try. I'll keep you posted on those efforts)

5. Kids who write entire blog entries about things that annoy them.
UmWhat?

No comments:

Post a Comment