Saturday, June 26, 2010

The World Cup

High on the list of things I love about living in Sweden is how diverse my group of friends here is. If you look at the last blog post, you'll see that my friends represent a pretty wide range of nationalities. This is cool -- I've never had friends from so many different countries before. And, in Sweden, we all have something in common -- namely, an inability to understand the love affair between Swedes and pickled herring. Truly, it is inspirational. I hope one day to have such a relationship in my life.

One time that this diversity is not cool, however, is during the World Cup, when I just want a little bit of old fashioned patriotism of the flag-waving, gun-toting, evolution-banning variety*. What is NOT fun is having a Swede, a Malawian, a Dutchman, and a Ghanian over to your apartment to watch Ghana beat the US soundly in soccer. Yes, soccer. Rest of the world: bite me.

*OK, so maybe that much patriotism would be a bit of an overload... but I wouldn't say no to a Sam Adams, some apple pie, and overweight people with the American flag painted on their faces.

I am currently in mourning.

However, this story isn't over yet. Dual Citizen Katie's British citizenship has arrived to save the day! So as of now, I have renounced my American-ness (and with it, my ability to make up words...) and am officially a Brit. I'm spending the next 15 hours brushing up on my English accent, watching Harry Potter and Narnia, and finding my British passport so I can flash it like Bond. James Bond.

And tomorrow I will watch a football match over a pint between the UK and Germany with, among others, a couple of Germans. I will eat chocolate buttons and Roses. I will drink tea and eat curry. I will carry the Union Jack everywhere I go. I will walk with a cane and wear a ridiculous hat. I will wear sandals and socks. I will cause several accidents by driving on the wrong side of the road. Most importantly, however, I will lie through my teeth.

So Germany, good luck. You're going to need it.

Love,

English Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment